Sunday, June 16, 2013

My vocabulary is, like, so huge.

What?
I'm not trying to brag but my recent trip to the ER has exponentially increased my vocabulary. Do you see those words over there? Yeah...on the left.

I know what they mean.

When I was discharged, I was instructed to have some outpatient testing done - the first was the aforementioned ultrasound. The second is a hypercoaguability workup. (My mouth won't even allow me to correctly pronounce that word. Google doesn't even know it). From what I understand, which isn't much, hypercoaguability is essentially the opposite of hemophilia*. Certain factors, like the items shown in the above picture, can cause the blood to clot more easily. In my research, I also discovered that a previous thombotic event increases one's risk of future DVTs and emboli. (What came first, the chicken or the egg?)

EGG!**

Anyway, things like this make me appreciate anyone in the medical profession even more. They have to be able to explain the ins and outs of conditions I can't even pronounce. I am reminded of one doctor in particular who is treating me and happens to be bilingual. This person not only knows what these conditions are but can explain them in English and Hindi. How can anyone's brain hold that much information? Humans are truly amazing creatures.

Oh, and I am not able to have this testing done until I complete my current course of treatment with warfarin. Hopefully, this will be sooner rather than later, considering the good news delivered by my recent ultrasound.

*Autocorrect wants me to change this word to "pedophilia." Google, y u creepy? 

**There is a cemetery near my house that has a super-interesting egg-shaped monument. Every time I pass it, I compulsively say the word "egg" fearing that, if I do not, something horrible will happen. You can officially add OCD to my list of diagnoses. 

No comments:

Post a Comment